Monday, December 8, 2008

Venturing into the "selling" world


On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I tried my first Bazaar for selling quilts and purses. It turned out to be a "skunk", none of the vendors were very impressed with the turnout of buyers! I did sell a few purses, though, and after the day was over; traded for some other craft items! There was a girl who had nice felted-wool purses and I traded one of those for a small baby quilt. Another lady had fun handmade cards, so I traded her a small purse for 25 handmade cards! I also put out quite a few business cards, and got lots of interest for machine quilting and some interest in the baby-clothes quilts; so in all I think it was a success. I only made $25 over the cost of my booth, though, so won't be trying that one again! I am signed up for some here in Wasilla that should have better turnouts, and the tables are much cheaper so I'm hoping that will work better. I am also making more quilted tote/purses- they are very well liked, and also some quilted hotpads, as they are smaller dollar items and should sell better. Many thanks to Lindsey & Tyler for watching the kids for me, Lindsey & Trisha for helping me do pricing, and Trisha & Tyler for helping out at the booth! I love to quilt but have a tough time in the pricing area, or selling- and their encouragement and help was much appreciated! And of course the most thanks to Tyler- for building me a beautiful rack to display the quilts, and standing behind me in all my new ideas! =) Note: Some small doll quilts are missing from the top racks on both ends.... somehow we got down there and accidentally left them at Lindsey's! She has a place in Anchorage not too far away, though, so I drove back to get them and it was a nice break from the "nervous excitement" of waiting for the bazaar to begin.

2 comments:

The McCoys said...

Hey Lisa - Good to hear of all your goings on. Have you ever checked out etsy.com? It's a place where you can easily sell things online. People can search for local crafters, etc. Anyways maybe it would be a good place to see your quilted goods! Just a thought..hope all is well.. enjoy the holidays!

J K L M N O P said...

Beautiful work Lisa!! Pricing! work! Sorry it was a dud show - hope the next ones are better! How do you figure your pricing when you do the long arm quilting for folks?! Gorgeous quiltsss!!!!