Monday, September 28, 2009

There is such a thing as too much fabric...

I've come to the conclusion that there's too much........ at least for me. With low funds it's a great opportunity to do lots without spending, but I'll need a lot more freetime to use it all up! =)

And this isn't all of it... there's a rubbermaid full of denims for a quilt (anyone interested can have it!), another full of 1/2 finished projects, and still another 2 trash bags full of misc. Anyone interested in the non-quilt fabric can come take some too, I'd prefer to spend my pecious free-time making a quilt than working on a garment that may or may not work out or fit.


Tyler made me these wonderful shelves that hold some of it, and I've folded it all around the same rotary ruler and then folded in 1/2 to give nice stacks that are easy to see. By the way, most of the folding was done before we moved, it packed quite nicely this way into boxes!



I also found these fun totes on clearance at Lowe's for sorting scraps by color. Before I had them in one huge rubbermaid and a garbage bag, so it was impossible to see what was there and how much of each. Seeing them sorted makes me want to get creative!


I mentioned in the last post that my goal was to not buy anything more till I'd used up a bunch..... and about an hour later Tyler told me about a fabric sale in Anchorage (he saw it on Craigslist.com) that was too good to pass up.... here's what I got. There were about 5 quilting ladies selling their stash of fabric to finance a trip to Italy, and the prices were incredible! And since Tyler knows of the mass amounts of fabric I already have.... and still told me about this wonderful sale.... he wanted me to get some, right? While in Anchorage, we also stopped by Costco, and picked up 2 small quilts to be quilted for someone, so it wasn't all a fabric-shopping trip. =)




I already had the 5 pinks on the left, but got this large piece with "Quilt for a cure" to use as backing.



And this one was too good to pass up, thinking maybe for a backing also? There are at least 2 yrds.
After lots of organizing today, I decided it really is rediculous; and I need to get working on projects instead of finding more things to buy. And seriously, if you need fabric I could definately share! =)


9 comments:

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

I am in awe of how nicely it is all folded! :-) That's great, having it all sorted by color. You'll be able to do another awesome scrappy quilt! We need to live closer so we can take turns babysitting while the other one gets a chance to do something grown-up!

J K L M N O P said...

Lovely lovely! And you are so organized! You'll get lots of beautiful quilts made out of those fabrics! I bought a bunch of large backing piece several years ago - a Radio Flyer wagon full! But for a buck a yard - hard to pass up.

SunshineStateWilson4 said...

What a good idea for folding fabric...might have to try it myself.

Becky Gonce said...

I wish I had a spot I could fold mine nicely.. all my area is where Aubrey could get into it to really mess it up!!! I have had fun making jumpers and skirts for her and me...so if you had some you wanted to get rid of that would make good jumpers and skirts...I'll take it...no red though..she doesn't look good in red! You could send it with Monica... If you are serious about giving it away!!! What I don't use Fords would.

Alaskan Vaughans said...

Yes, Becky, I'd love to send some along! Is Monica driving up? I did hear she was coming, I'm sending the quilt back with her. Ooooo this sounds fun.... more shelf room.... =D ~lisa

Becky Gonce said...

Monica is there now...staying with LaZell. Not sure when she is coming back.....

Now you have an excuse to buy more...if there is more shelf space!!!! HA!!

Rebekah said...

I am so with you...except my stash is not fabric but paper and stamps and ink! I think I could scrap/stamp for a year and not run out of anything!!

Amanda Jean said...

I love your color coded scrap buckets!! I find that it helps me use them faster. Love your neatly folded fabric stacks, too.

Becky Gonce said...

Hey!! Thanks for all the goodies... I can see some skirts and jumpers in there! =-)