Sunday, August 9, 2009

My First Fair Quilt

I have made quite a few quilts over the past few years, but have never actually entered any in the fair. So this year when it started getting close to fair-time, I decided that since I seem to do my sewing projects best "last-minute", why not this year? "Normal" people work all year on a nice quilt to enter, but I started sorting through my large stash of scraps on sunday evening, July 26th. And the final day to turn in quilts for the fair, is Saturday August 15th. And I am due with baby #3 (and also have 2 small children), on Sunday August 16th. Therefore, any sane person in this situation would probably choose a nice small quilt from a simple pattern for the new baby, or something like that. But this is my first fair quilt! I decided to do a Queen-size (we need it for our bed anyway), out of scraps (which takes much longer because you can't just cut up a nice big piece of fabric), and am trying a complicated pattern I've never done before. It is called a spiderweb quilt, and done by the paper-piecing method (which of course takes a lot more time also), and uses strips of various widths. Mom started teasing me that I was going to go into labor starting such grandios projects, but so far it hasn't worked. =)

First I cut out the centers of the blocks, which end up being stars, out of a couple different yellows.
Then I made piles of the different shades of blue strips that seemed to be of similar tone. Of the fabrics that I had a bit larger pieces, I cut 5inch squares for the border of prairie points. This is supposed to be a "scrappy" quilt, and the strips aren't supposed to be the same width- which is a wonderful scrap-reducer!

I saved some of the bigger pieces for later if necessary, as I didn't know quite how many scraps I needed to make the finished quilt size.



In order to keep the scrappy look, I organized the strips in piles around my sewing machine to make sure each block (consisting of 4 triangles) didn't have repeating fabrics. Towards the end I was getting low and had to have a few "strings" similar in one block. Most people do this sort of quilt with their entire scrap stash, so don't need to worry about keeping things different- but I wanted to keep just the similar blues and yellows in this one.


The 5inch squares I folded in half diagonally, then again; and pressed. These will be used along the edge of the quilt instead of the normal binding. I have only done this on a couple of quilts, and it is more difficult, but adds a unique touch.



Four of the blocks coming together. Once you lay them out together, they make a spider-web shape in the middle.


15 of the blocks together now, Breanna loved counting how many spiderwebs I had as I added blocks. =)


Once I had 15 blocks together (they took roughly 30-45 mins. each), I lost some motivation and took a few days off. Then one day I did 15 more blocks.... Mom was sure I was going to go into labor now! =) If you are wondering how I came up with this much time; I did most of the work while the rest of my family was sleeping and I was dealing with the "I can't get comfortable or sleep" pregnancy fun. I also worked some while the kids played.

Once I sewed the 35 blocks together to make the center of the quilt, it really started looking nice and making me get more excited.


Then I added the borders to make it the finished size, all of which I had to go and buy. I got very lucky and found a coordinating floral print for the wide border, though, that matches as if I started with it and chose the scraps to match it! I was also planning on using the wide-backing fabric for quilts but found nothing to match, so went back and got more of the floral print for that. I am hoping to be able to piece it together on Monday so that I can quilt it and be ready for prairie points. Then hand-stitching the back closed and I will be finished! Only 6 days till I have to be completely done....... I took a class on saturday about machine quilting, and learned a lot of new things that should make this quilt more interesting.

6 comments:

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

Only Lisa would attempt this! :-) Totally awesome looking quilt, glad you are having fun doing it! You'll be able to take pictures of your son on a beautiful background!

The Cooper Family said...

It is beautiful Lisa - However - you are insane!!

KimP said...

Lisa - Enjoy your quilting time now! That's when I got two full/queen size quilts made and hand-quilted for my brother and sister. Now the kids are older (10 & 12) and you'd think I have more time for that kind of thing, right? NOT! Practically the only sewing I do these days is mending. :-{

Beautiful quilt, by the way - I really like it. :-)

Becky Gonce said...

It is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Marla said...

Wow Lisa you are so talented!!! This is awesome!! Love it!!

SunshineStateWilson4 said...

Wow Lisa! That's awesome. Maybe could be called extreme nesting...haha.